On 1 January 2021, the UK Government department Office for Product Safety and Standards launched the UK notification portal called Submit Cosmetic Product Notification (SCPN). This allows the companies to notify cosmetics products, which they want to make available on the GB market as of 1 January 2021. The notification is a pre-market requirement under Article 13 of the UK Cosmetics Regulation (Schedule 34 to the Product Safety and Metrology etc. (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019).
The following information is required for product notification via SCPN:
- the category and name of the cosmetic product
- the name of the responsible person
- where the Product Information File (PIF) is kept
- details of a named contact for urgent enquiries
- details of any nanomaterials the cosmetic product contains
- details of any carcinogenic, mutagenic, or toxic for reproduction (CMR) substances the cosmetic product contains
- the chemical details of substances
- a summary of the ingredients
- an image of the product’s label
- a photograph of the cosmetic product packaging
For existing products, which are already present on the GB market and have been notified through the EU’s CPNP before the beginning of this year, it is possible to upload the zip file of the EU notification to the SCPN. The UK portal allows uploads of 100 files at the time.
However, the attached documents (such as the formulation and images) as well as details of any nanomaterials, will have to be provided separately.
Companies, which sell their products in GB, should keep in mind the following dates:
- Existing products on the GB market, which have been notified using the EU’s CPNP portal before 1 January 2021: deadline for SCPN notification is 31 March 2021
- New products for the GB market: SCPN notification has to be done before products are placed on the market
- Deadline to include UK RP name and address on the product packaging is 31 December 2022